TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I just went through this with my Toyota pickup: UGH!
People Seeking Info

Subject I just went through this with my Toyota pickup: UGH!

Posted by davidztt on February 28, 2015 at 4:43 PM
  This message has been viewed 173 times.

In Reply To size of knock sensor wire ecu side? (n/m) posted by msb1987 on February 27, 2015 at 06:25 PM

Message This is not easy if there are no markings on the insulation of the wire. From the research I did, you have to gauge the thickness of the stranded wire itself as the thickness of the insulation is not to be considered and varies between manufacturers and type anyways. Then you also have to take into account the thickness of each individual strand of wire, how it is wound, the type of wire (i.e. copper versus aluminum), etc. All these variables affect resistance. What a pain.

Note that even this reference uses the term "approximately" several times.........wow :(

[ http://www.junkosha.co.jp/english/technical/tec1.html ]

Wouldn't it be cool if the whole world got together and standardized measurements of all sorts? Or would that be too much NWO? lol

Strictly speaking for myself, I wouldn't have a fit over a 1 gauge difference if I was installing an aftermarket meter or something, but I would want the resistance of the wire to match as close as possible to the original for my fuel-injectors or ECU and such.

I wound up using a fractional-inch gauge and a micro-caliper to "approximate" the thickness of the stranded wire, counted the strands, and then went to the charts on the internet to make my best estimation. Everything seems to be ok. Hopefully Grimm will come back with a definitive answer for you.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.